It’s that time of the year when feverish preparations begin – the Examination Fever. Many young students are receiving ready for the largest test of their academic lives, one which will determine their range of career and how their futures will shape up. The 10th standard examinations or Board Examinations follow many patterns according to the syllabi and the academic councils the schools are affiliated to. Getting high marks and percentages overall in most subjects is key to enhancing likelihood of a great education in a reputed institution; therefore students should take extra steps in equipping themselves well in the preparations for exam study.
Students as of this level have six to seven subjects with allocation of marks and grades combined for a topic grouping. Mathematics and Science take predominance over other subjects like Social Studies waec answers, English or Other Languages. The reason being for most technical courses post school and getting admitted into college depend on excellent percentages in those two subjects. While subjects like English depend on the student’s excellent uptake of grammar and presentation of answers in a nice format with the relevant points concisely written, Mathematics and Science depend largely on accuracy in answers and results.
Some examination tips for High School
• By understanding the format of exams corresponding to the syllabus undertaken, students can workout a study schedule depending on subjects that need more attention and time. Having a timetable based subject-wise and topic-wise will greatly benefit your study schedule; remember to complete the schedule according to the timetable you’ve prepared
• Talking about previous question paper samples and guides helps obtain an insight into the sort of questions that may be expected and prepare a mental plan on the best way to answer the questions
• Resorting to malpractices or depending entirely on memorizing content may be disastrous. In case there is exam panic or even a wrong move, your head goes into a freeze making thinking and recollection difficult. It is much better to understand content, rephrase questions on what best to bring out the answers and keep doing the tasks over and over to master the technique and analyze and correct mistakes, especially in problem solving
• One of the greatest methods to retain content the student has read is to publish down points or make brief notes that will remember key points to organize the flow of content
• When in doubt, seek help. Parents, teachers, friends, guides are usually around to help clear doubts. Published guides help but where they fail is the sort of one on a single interaction that you can have with peers and superiors
• Learn to apply time management which can be very essential in answering question papers. Practicing writing speeds might help improve answering skills when time is of utmost importance
Besides these academic tips, there are numerous other areas that the student has to keep in mind when preparing for Board exams.
i. Select a study area without distractions and ambient noises from traffic, TV screens, computers and other gadgets that can be quite a disturbance or intrusion. Conversations with friends may be on a instances when you have a break from studying
ii. Getting proper nutrition, exercise and sleep recharges the human body and fills it with energy resources which are very essential. Skipping meals and sleeping less will tire the human body and mind and make you exhausted by the time examinations arrive
iii. Avoid places and situations that could cause anger and negative emotions to surface. The unnecessary anxiety and worry will not help by any means
iv. Always take constant breaks from study to re-energize your head and body. Cramming mental performance with too much information or a lot of facts in a quick span of time is not really a good idea. Take time off to indulge in a popular hobby like listening to music, painting or photography; opting for a quick walk and meeting friends for a sit down elsewhere is recommended provided this doesn’t cut into your daily study schedule and you are able to get back in study mode again